Ones to Watch brings you the nominees for the coveted student media awards categories:
Best Student Media
- The National and London Student Journalism Support Network, University of London – a site which exists to provide support to student led publications and student journalists within the University of London. The site also liveblogs cross-London events, such as the National Demo on March 26.
- Forge Media, University of Sheffield – a site which brings together the university’s student newspaper, radio and TV output. Led this year by former Radio 1 DJ Mary Anne Hobbs and OTW’s Student Publication of the Month in March this year.
- Nouse, University of York – the university’s serious news publication which has broken stories this year including how the university accepted £4million from arms companies, how its debt doubled to £88million and the fate of a student convicted of 17 child porn charges.
Student Journalist of the Year
- Matthew Burgess, Forge Press, University of Sheffield – now editor of Forge Press, Matt was News Editor this year and wrote stories such as the disabled student living in dirty and freezing university accommodation, the university staff paid below minimum wage and university occupations.
- Simon Murphy, The Courier, Newcastle University – now editor of The Courier, former news editor Simon carried out investigations into the expenses of senior staff and the university’s involvement in the arms trade.
- Nick Stylianou, Royal Holloway – Media and Communications Officer at SURHUL this year, Nick’s many achievements include running a blog which has broken stories such as the union ‘accidentally’ losing £11,000 and founding and running student television site rhubarbtv.com.