Publication of the Year
- York Vision (University of York) – York’s tabloid-esque newspaper, which has been running since 1987
- Mouth (Kingston University) – a magazine produced by MA Magazine students at Kingston
- Cherwell (Oxford University) – established in 1920, Cherwell is completely independent and one of Oxford’s leading student publications
- River (Kingston University) – a newspaper produced by undergraduate students at Kingston. It has a sister website run by MA students: RiverOnline.
- Felix (Imperial College London) – Imperial’s well-regarded student newspaper, which won the Guardian Student Newspaper of the Year in 2008.
Website of the Year
- Redbrick (University of Birmingham) – Ones to Watch’s publication of the month in August for its exclusive coverage of the Birmingham riots, Redbrick’s website is constantly updated and a source of news for both students and locals
- The Student Journals (founded by University of Warwick students) – established in 2010 as a way of giving students a national platform to air their views and showcase their writing, TSJ has gone from strength to strength this year
- SUSUtv (University of Southampton) – the website for Southampton’s student-run television centre, featuring programmes on everything from news and sport to comedy and music
- Liverpool Student Media (University of Liverpool) – the media ‘hub’ of Liverpool’s SU, the site brings together written articles, radio shows and video on a wide range of topics
Reporter of the Year
- Simon Murphy (Newcastle University) – former news editor of The Courier (and briefly editor before turning down the job to start an MA course at City University), Simon’s work includes investigation into management expenses and the cost of honorary degrees.
- Lizzie Porter (Oxford University) – Lizzie is due to take over as editor of The Oxford Student and won the Anjool Malde Memorial Trust award for excellence in student journalism this year. Her work includes covering Michelle Obama’s visit to Oxford and interviewing Polly Toynbee.
- Tom Farmery (University of Lincoln) – a recent graduate of Lincoln’s Investigative Journalism and Research degree, Tom was sports editor for The Linc. His work includes comment on Alan Johnson and an interview with Lincoln City manager Chris Sutton.
- James Burton (University of Cambridge) – news editor of The Cambridge Student, James’s work includes an exclusive on controversial student riots arrests and a story on whether Cambridge could handle a zombie invasion.
- Michael “Mikey” Smith (University of Sheffield) – newly-appointed student media co-ordinator at Sheffield’s SU (he takes over from former Radio1 DJ Mary-Ann Hobbs) and managing editor of Forge Press, Mikey’s work includes live coverage of the Lib Dem conference in Sheffield and features on both the general and local elections in Sheffield.
Feature Writer of the Year
- Alex Dymoke (Oxford University) – previously joint editor of The Isis magazine.
- Thomas Hocking (University of Sheffield) – Tom is a recent MA Journalism graduate, his work includes writing on football.
- Minas Panayi (Cass Business School, University of London) – Minas was instrumental in setting up a magazine for the Cass Business School.
- Camilla Apcar, not Apkar, take note Guardian! (University of York) – Camilla is deputy editor of Nouse and has written on everything from York’s elusive nuns to television. Her work is regularly featured on Ones to Watch.
Part 2 coming soon…!