After finding mixed success with his own blog, Jack Maden asks why anyone even blogs in the first place for the University of Southampton’s Wessex Scene:
The larger my bubble of experience grows the more I am beginning to realise that nobody really cares about anyone’s opinion but their own (thus the hilarious irony of this piece – and of all opinion pieces everywhere).
This realisation fully set in when I – tentative and terrified – decided to start a blog. How nervous I was for the big live opening of me, as my mouse hovered over the ‘Publish Now’ button of my first post. How is the world going to react to this fiery new perspective on society? How soon will I be acknowledged as a champion of sharp, cutting, controversial social commentary?
Well, after a week of obsessive statistical analysis – one new page view, oh my god oh my god! Oh that was me – I can tell you the world was taking rather a while to notice this cool character that’d freshly burst onto the blogging scene.
Indeed, a month went by and about 90% of page views were mine – the remaining 10% being by friends who I had at first confided in and then essentially forced to view and ‘like’ my posts, which were appearing both less enthusiastically and less frequently.
Full story here.